Sunday, May 23, 2010

Who needs reparations? Not Africa!

A couple of weeks ago, Henry Louis gates Jr. published an article in which he highlighted, among other things, Africa’s culpability in the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade. Many Nigerian members of different listserves launched scathing attacks on him. I, too, took part in the discussions that dared to surface against the noisy backdrop of curse and name-calling. But my greatest wish, besides airing my humble opinion, was that these discussions take place in an open forum.
Africa needs rigorous discussions of issues that confront us. And this should be done with the goal of making us more responsive to one another, more prepared to the riches of our humanity.
I am happy that Ikhide has taken the discussion of some of these important issues to the public. Great piece that should encourage informed debates about Africa. I love it.
Bravo. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment