Thursday, April 4, 2013

Chinua Achebe: A Writer And A Half And More



A nice one by my friend, Akin.


"A phone call from Lagos woke me to the rumor of Achebe’s death early in the morning of March 22. The caller, journalist and author Kunle Ajibade, was not sure, and he wanted me to call Nigerian friends to confirm or dismiss the news. I left several voice messages, and the one person who picked my call said something very significant, moments after we had come to terms with the news. Chika Okeke-Agulu, an artist and art historian said, after listening to my view of the writer’s personal account of the war, that Biafra, not literature, was the defining ideal for Achebe.  That is a point of supreme importance. With it as a point of reference, it would not be difficult to understand why a writer of Achebe’s status continued to use the expression, “my people the Igbo,” and why he would describe Awolowo as a politician fighting for “his Yoruba people.” It stands to reason."
ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment