Sunday, June 26, 2011

Once upon a life: Helen Oyeyemi




"As the daughter of Nigerian immigrants, novelist Helen Oyeyemi knows how hard it can be to feel at home. But when she was assaulted in broad daylight in a London park, she had no option but to pack her bags."
There are many traits I've inherited from my parents. Among them are a love of, and geeky interest in, perfume (that's from my mum), an innate conviction that the plausibility of a piece of information is in no way connected to its truth (that's from my dad), and (from both of them) the idea that you don't have to stay in a place just because you were born there, or because you're used to it.
An insightful essay. Philosophical. Deep.
ENJOY

1 comment:

  1. Really insightful. There's that thing about not wanting to overreact to a situation and some creeps can actually take advantage of that.

    I'm due to review Mr Fox soon...if I can actually sit down and read.

    ReplyDelete