Sunday, April 25, 2010

Every Day is for the Thief - Ikhide R. Ikheloa

If I were to write a book on why I am not a Christian (original title, Bertrand Russell) it will be because of Nigerian Christianity. Nigerian Christianity makes a mockery of all that is holy and decent. Reading Ikhide's review of Teju Cole's novel, "Everyday is for the Thief," reminds me of my anger with Nigeria's new crop of evangelists and pastors:
"We are introduced to a Nigeria innocent of an abiding set of core values and a coherent spirituality – a consumer nation at its crassest defined largely by the absence of a reading culture. Soaked in the effluvium of the new Christianity, Nigeria is host to a relentless scourge of new “pastors” gouging their destitute congregation to near-death."
There is more to be discovered in this review, and, I would say, in the novel. ENJOY.

No comments:

Post a Comment